Hello World Wide Cat Lovers!

Welcome to "The Purple Paw"! We (BlackCat13, KittyLover8, littlekitty5, and SuperPOWerHorse) have explored even the darkest corners of our minds to create the many posts on our blog. Here, we've posted funny articles, poems, adorable limericks, heart-stopping stories and fact-filled posts, for you to read.

Enjoy!

-BlackCat13
-KittyLover8
-littlekitty5
-SuperPOWerHorse

Monday, February 27, 2012

Fallen Stars 9-A Sign in the Stars

Sunset crouched in the tall grass, her gaze fixed on a small, stone-gray bird. She tensed, preparing to leap. Then, Sunset heard a meow coming from behind her.

She hissed, immediately thinking, Blossom!

She whipped around, preparing to see the sweet, smiling face of cute little Blossom, but, instead, to her disappointment, there stood Ivory. The voting had led to his staying, so he now slept in the cave that she, Crow and Blaze shared.

"Hello, Ivory," Sunset said flatly.

"Well, then, ahem, what are you doing out here?" Ivory meowed, seeming quite fidgety.

Sunset glared at Ivory. "I'm hunting. What are you doing, Ivory?"

Tension crackled in the air. "I'm just taking a walk. That's a crime around here, I suppose?" Ivory shot back, genuine hurt in his voice.

Sunset felt a stab of guilt for the cat. Who was she to judge him? Who was she to say if he was bad or good? Sunset blurted out, her words tumbling over top of one another, her tone desperate, "I'm sorry. I don't mean to--" Sunset suddenly realized that she'd said too much already. "I mean, okay, then. Carry on with your walk."

"Alright, then. Goodbye, um, Sunset," Ivory meowed. Then, he left, his white figure was swallowed by a thick wall of trees. Sunset walked to the East, walking only about twenty yards behind Ivory. She was heading towards the river in hopes that there would be more prey there.

******

Sunset returned to the cave after an unsuccessful hunt. She had only caught a fish and a mouse. She placed her catches in the small pit that served as a prey pile.

Then, Sunset thought, anger burning inside of her, I would've caught more if Ivory hadn't scarred that bird away. Why did he have to make so much noise? Where was he going, anyway?

Sunset's tail twitched. Then, it occurred to her that Ivory had been away for a while. She decided to ask Blaze if anyone had seen the white tom. As she made her way across the clearing, a little orange ball of fur tumbled into her.

"Canary!" Sunset exclaimed, laughter in her voice. She was quite fond of the sweet kitten. Sunset had always wanted to have kits of her own.

"Hello, Sunset," Canary meowed, trying to sound formal and polite, but obvious joy rang through her mew. Then, the kitten gave up being formal. "Want to play with me?"

"I'm sorry, Canary, but I have to talk with Blaze at the moment. I will play with you afterwards," Sunset meowed. Canary looked crushed. "Maybe Stone or Lavender could play with you while you wait for me," she suggested.

"But I want to play with you!" Canary protested.

"Canary, I am very busy right now. I need to talk with Blaze. I'll play with you when I'm done. Please understand," Sunset pleaded. She needed to speak with Blaze.

"Okay. I hope that you have a nice conversation. Goodbye!" Canary chirped happily, losing all of the heaviness that had hung in her voice.

Then, Canary trotted off. Sunset watched as the kitten headed into the cave where she and her parents lived. Sunset pulled her gaze away from the kitten and walked over to the log that the rest of the cats slept inside.

"Blaze! Blaze, are you in here?" Sunset called from where she stood at the entrance of the log.

"Who's there? Is that you, Sunset?" a voice echoed from the back of the fallen tree.

Sunset immediately recognized Blaze's meow. "Yes, I'm here. I need to speak with you."

"About what?"

"When I went out hunting in the afternoon, Ivory bumped into me. He told me that he was taking a walk and then left. I haven't seen him after that. Now that it's sunset, I was just wondering if you have seen him," Sunset meowed once Blaze came into site.

"No. I thought that he might have joined you," Blaze replied.

"Then we should look for him. He might be in trouble!" Sunset raced out of the cave with Blaze at her heals.

Then, Sunset hit something, large, white, and furry. Ivory! she thought. Sure enough, when she stood up, her ivy-green eyes met Ivory's mud-brown ones.

"Hello, Ivory. What are you doing back so late?" Blaze asked.

"I's sorry if I got you worried.
I'm fine. I just needed some time alone," Ivory meowed. Then, the tom brushed his tail pointedly at a small shrew that sat beside him. "I caught some prey," he offered. A few days ago, Sunset had found out that Ivory was a terrible hunter.

"Okay, then. Lets go to sleep now. It has been a long day," Blaze meowed as he ushered Ivory into the log.

Sunset stayed out in the clearing, though. She looked up at the starry, ink-black sky. Then, suddenly, five stars shot downward. They were strangely clustered together. As Sunset gazed upon the colored shooting stars, an image formed in her head. The stars morphed into kits. The one that was light blue turned into a white she-cat with eyes the color of the star that she used to be. The two that were dark orange turned into brown tabby kits, one female one male. The one that was dark blue turned into a pitch black she-cat. And the one that was gray-blue turned into a stone-grey tom.

Sunset's eye lids flew open. The stars were gone.

"It's a sign," Sunset murmured.

-KittyLover8
© 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment